Surah 92 Al-Lail verses 12-21
12. Surely we take upon us to Guide
13. And surely to us (belong) the end and the beginning
14. Therefore I warn you of a fire blazing fiercely
15. None shall burn there but the most unfortunate ones
16. Who give the lie to Truth and turn their backs
17. But those most devoted to God shall be removed far from it
18. Those who spend their wealth for increase in self-purification
19. And have in their minds no favor from anyone for which a reward is expected in return
20. But only the desire to seek for the countenance of their Lord most High.
21. and soon will they atttain (complete) satisfaction.
Rabia Al Basri wrote----
If I adore you out of fear of hell
burn me in hell
If I adore you out of desire for paradise
lock me out of paradise
But, if I adore you
for yourself alone
Do not deny to me your eternal beauty.
A heart without love is nothing but a handful of dust.
A human devoid of love is not worthy of humanity.
As intelligent human beings, we should not forget the values that make us civilized and humane. It is in ever striving for these noble values of compassion, mercy, justice, tolerance, patience, perseverance, love.....that we can create better selves and thus better societies.
Let us strive to be a little better today than we were yesterday.....