Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Surrender

Surah 37 verses 100-106

100 "O my Lord! grant me a rightous (son)!"
101 So we gave him the good news of a forbearing son.
102 Then, when (the son) reached (the age of) work with him, He said: "O my son! I have seen in a dream that I offer you in sacrifice: Now see what is your view!" (the son) said: "O my father! Do as you have been commanded: You will find me, if Allah so wills, one of the steadfast."
103. So when they had both submitted (to Allah), and he had laid his forehead
104. We called out to him, O Abraham!
105. "You have already fulfilled the dream!-thus indeed Do we reward those who do right.
106. For this was a clear trial---

For a long time, this story puzzled me. Prophet Abraham was a great man (and muslim) because through the use of his intellect, he arrived at an understanding of God, the most merciful, the most compassionate, the most supreme. Therefore, How could he, who understood God so well, think that a dream that called for the sacrifice of another human being could be from God? Then I realized---he did not---I was making an assumption!! re-read verse 102!!!
This story is not about "sacrifice" ---nor is it about a faith so strong that reason and belief are suspended---No! In my opinion----this is about Trust. It is through Trust in God that we attain "surrender". Prophet Abraham understood God so well, that through this knowledge he was certain that God, the most powerful, the supreme, would not let him go astray. He completely trusted God. And this trust was fulfilled---for God did not allow the son to be sacrificed. This story is about the ideal relationship between man and God.

How strong is your trust?

No comments:

Post a Comment